Thursday, September 10, 2015

Canada: Part 5

I began my tour of the Atlantic, Canadian provinces in New Brunswick. The beach was calling my name so I headed to Kouchibouguac National Park. I got the beach and I also got a few jellyfish.

One of the biggest tourist attractions in New Brunswick is the world-famous Bay of Fundy. It is known for having the highest tides in the world; the change in the ocean’s elevation from high tide to low tide can be up to 50 vertical feet or more. I stayed in Moncton for the evening which gave me the opportunity to watch the tidal bore come up the Petticodiac River.

To see more of this phenomenon firsthand, I went to Hopewell Rocks. I arrived in the morning just after high tide. And returned a little over 6 hours later during low tide. Amazing!

The great thing about low tide is that you get the opportunity to explore the ocean floor.

I couldn't pass up the opportunity to walk through the mud. So soothing on the feet!

While I was waiting for the tides to change, I drove up the road and took some time to explore Fundy National Park.

The icing on the cake... a strip of beach all to myself and a beautiful sunset in Cap Pele.

I left the mainland for Prince Edward Island. I knew I was in for a treat from the very beginning. The Confederation Bridge which connects New Brunswick to PEI is impressive to say the least. What an engineering feat!

I was looking forward to the coastal scenery and some more sun and sand. And that's exactly what I got. From the bridge, I drove to the western section of the island and then to North Cape.

On my way east, I drove past fishing village after fishing village; each more charming than the next.

The next day, I went to PEI National Park, Cavendish.

The beach was wonderful, but extremely crowded. Not my cup of tea. So, I left midday and drove through Anne of Green Gables country.

PEI National Park, Brackley-Dalvay was less crowded and proved to be very enjoyable as dusk set in.

The last area of PEI National Park for me to explore was Greenwich. I woke up early enough to be the first person on the Dunes Trail. It was really peaceful and serene.

Prince Edward Island was a dream! Thanks to the daily dose of sunshine, my tan and my mood were the best they'd been in a while. My time was limited, so reluctantly I moved on. This time, I opted to take the original mode of transportation to/from the island. For my departure, I boarded the ferry to Nova Scotia.

Click here to see more photos of my Canadian Road Trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment