Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Canada: Part 4

After a short hiatus to spend time with family, I picked up my Canadian adventure in Ontario. I crossed the border in Detroit and then drove south to Point Pelee National Park. It is the southernmost point of mainland Canada. I walked through the marsh on the boardwalk (spotting a beautiful painted turtle along the way) and then headed down to the point. Most of the time, there is a long sand spit "point" reaching out into Lake Erie which you can walk on. However, the lake level is unusually high this year, so I had to settle for a walk to the southern "nub" instead.

My next stop was Niagara Falls. I had made a stop at Niagara Falls in 2009 when I was on my USA Road Trip and now I was back. The view from the Canadian side of the Niagara River is more expansive and gave me a fantastic rainbow over Horseshoe Falls on the afternoon I was there.

From Niagara Falls, I headed north around Lake Ontario to Thousand Islands and the St. Lawrence River. I decided to splurge and take a ride on Rockport Boat Line to get a closer look at the islands and the unique homes that occupy these islands. The trip included Zavikon Island and Boldt Castle.

Such a beautiful day to be on the water!

That afternoon, I crossed into Quebec. Then, the following day, I headed to La Mauricie National Park. I took a short hike on the Les Cascades trail.

I completed the drive through the park, stopping at a couple viewpoints over Lac Wapizagonke and spending a couple hours at the beach on Lac Edouard.

I continued east along the St. Lawrence River to the Gaspe Peninsula; making my next stop at Forillon National Park. The weather was a little drizzly, but the sights and wildlife were still spectacular. I started in the North Area at Cap Bon-Ami.

Then I drove to the trail for La Chute. The red chair was beckoning.

My time in Forillon National Park ended with a hike in the South Area out to the Cap Gaspe Lighthouse. I was losing light quickly as I made my way back to the trailhead. I was the only one out there and it was very quiet and peaceful. I was able to hear a few whale blows off the cliffs out in the water and even saw one as it came up to breathe. Then suddenly, I saw something big cross the trail up ahead. I thought my eyes were deceiving me, but as I slowly approached, I saw what I thought I had seen... a moose! A very large moose at that. I stood at a distance for quite some time, watching him eat from the plants lining the trail. It was getting darker and I had to move closer in order to see him, but when I did, he must have heard me (or saw me or smelled me) and so disappeared in the trees. Super cool!

The next day, I finished my time in Quebec by driving along the southern edge of the Gaspe Peninsula.

I stopped at a strawberry farm where I bought a 1.5L bucket of strawberries to enjoy. SO delicious! There was no way I could finish them all myself, so I did the most logical thing... I picked up a couple hitchhikers to help me. Good conversation, checked another item off my bucket list, and emptied the strawberry bucket; I call that a success :)

I said goodbye to Quebec and Ontario for the time being. I was ready to experience the Atlantic provinces of New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and Nova Scotia.

Click here to see more photos of my Canadian Road Trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment