Friday, October 31, 2014

Paje and Stone Town, Zanzibar

I moved on from Nungwi in northern Zanzibar to Paje on the east coast. The beaches here were larger than in Nungwi with long uninterrupted stretches of white sand. The difference between high tide and low tide is extreme and on most days there is an ocean breeze making this a kitesurfer's paradise.

Paje is a great jumping off point for a half-day trip to Jozani Chwaka Bay National Park. Such a beautiful setting and the home to Zanzibar's red colobus monkey. Look closely and you'll see the tiny, little baby wrapped around its mother.

From Jozani, I continued to Stone Town for the afternoon. Wandering and getting lost in the alleys was the best part. I spent my time observing and photographing the incredible people, culture, and architecture of this old world town.

After a few days in the east, I said goodbye to Zanzibar and took the long, two-day journey back to Kilimanjaro. It was a rough return. I had gotten braver about negotiating fair fares for things and since I had very little local currency left in my pocket and no desire to hit up an ATM again before my exit, I stood up for myself. Mistake? In one sense it felt really good, but it also caused me a lot of anxiety. It takes a lot of energy to stand up for what is right! I'm glad I saved my stubbornness for the end.

1 comment: